Laughing Moon Mercantile Pattern Reviews

One of the things I like about the patterns from Laughing Moon is that all the pieces for a garment are located on the same page. The patterns do come with a wide variety of sizes all in one envelope, but I have found that they tend to run one to two sizes too large. The instructions are fairly clear and easy to follow, and the finished garments come out looking great. My only complaint about these patterns are that they are printed on tracing paper, and are not folded in a manner in which they can be neatly refolded and stored.

(Listed in order by pattern number)

LM#100 – Victorian Undergarments

Recommended

This pattern offers a wide range of sizes, from 2 to 26. From this pattern you can make a set of Victorian drawers, a chemise, and two styles of corset. The instructions are easy to follow, and do include some historical back ground about each garment. I was undecided about which corset I wanted to make, concerned about my ample bosom. I read many pattern review and blog entries, and made the choice to construct mock ups of both styles. After reading numerous reviews, and seeing that the pattern ran large, I made the mock ups one size smaller than suggested by the instructions. The next decision to be made was the style of corset. The Silverado is made with bust gussests, and the Dore is made with straight seams. Here is where patterns reviews came in handy, again. As I am a D cup, the reviews suggested to go with the Dore, and to use a C cup. I followed these suggestions, and made the Dore corset, one size smaller and with a C cup. Once I was finished, I found that the corset was still too big. The center back pieces met when laced, it offered no spring back, and no support. As I did not want to remake the entire corset, my solution was to cut then center back panels by about an inch and a half. Once I reset the boning and grommet channels, it fit much better. As for the drawers, these went together smoothly and quickly. The chemise, on the other hand, did have a few sizing issues with the yoke. In other pattern reviews, I saw that the arm hole tended to be too tight, and the neckline was too wide. My solution was to cut a size smaller, and to extend the shoulder seam up by about 3″. This worked well, and the garment came out nicely. The chemise pattern, after adjustments, is cute enough to make for regular nightgowns for warm weather.

For more information on the garments in the above photo, please visit the project page for Victorian Undergarments.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s