Folkwear Pattern Reviews

Folkwear patterns have been around since the early 1970’s, but I have not had the occasion to use them until recently. Their patterns are focus on ethnic and vintage garments from around the world.

(Listed in order by pattern number)

#203 – Edwardian Underthings – Recommended

(photos to come, when available)

I ordered this pattern to use for my Edwardian Era undergarments. This pattern includes petticoat, camisole/corset cover, and drawers (with options for open and closed drawers). Once again, the instructions are great. Very straight forward and clear. There is an instruction sheet per garment, making it easy to keep track of the steps for each garment. I decided to make the 2XL, using my un-corseted measurements. As before, everything went together perfectly, with little or no adjustment. This pattern even includes step by step instructions for lace insets and pintucks. I have done pintucks prior to using this pattern, but the lace inset was new territory for me. I found the process easy, and everything turned out great. My only complaint (and I didn’t mention it on the review of #205), and it’s a minor one, is that at some point, Folkwear switched to using tissue paper to print the patterns on. The older patterns were on a heavy stock paper. I prefer the stock paper theatrical patterns, as I don’t cut my patterns, I trace over them with wax paper in order to preserve my original copy. I will most definitely be using this pattern again.

 

#205 – Gibson Girl Blouse – Recommended 

(photo to come, when available)

This is the first Folkwear pattern I have had the pleasure of using. I enjoyed making this blouse. I made view A with ease. It took a little over 6 hours, including tracing the pattern pieces. The directions are straight forward, but the sizing does seem to run a bit small. By my measurements in normal street clothes, the pattern called that I make a size 1XL, but I opted to make the 2XL, which I feel is the correct fit I am looking for. I did find that the collar was an inch longer than what was needed to match where it fitted to the neckline of the blouse, but I offset it, and used that reinforce where I placed the button I put on the collar. Also, the pattern is marked for 2 lengths, Historical and Modern. Where this is marked on the pattern pieces, it states to shorten or lengthen at these marks. I made the Modern length. For a plus size lady, this was still a bit short in my opinion, however the length will be covered by the high waist skirt of the costume this planned for. For the yoke and collar of the blouse, I used all over lace. For the closures at the back of the blouse, I opted for pearl buttons, and machine made button holes. I added a bit of delicate lace trim to the top of the collar. I was very pleased with the finished garment, and will be using this pattern again, with extra length added.

#224 – Beautiful Dream (OOP)Coming Soon!

 

#226 – Princess Slip (OOP)Coming Soon!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s