September 10, 2011 – Getting started
Katie’s high school home coming is this coming Saturday. She really wants to go, but we can’t afford a new dress. Good thing I have about 15 yds of lime green satin. She picked the pattern you see to the left, a nice throw back to the ’80’s. We will be making the version that is done in the gold color, with a turquoise shirred midriff, a ribbon rose at the center of a large bow, and straps. This evening, we traced out the pattern, cut it out, and cut one of the two bodice linings for a fitting. For her bust size (40 1/2″), we cut a size 18, per the back of the envelope. We have a little room to take it in. The bodice lining went together super easy. Tomorrow night, we will cut the rest of the pieces out, and I shall get started. This should be fun!
October 17, 2011 – One of a kind
I was able to get the dress finished down to the zipper by Friday night. I needed Katie to fit the zipper, but she was at the football game. After the game, she was going to her dad’s, so I had to wait till Saturday morning to finish the dress. In the mean time, I hemmed a yard of turquoise sheer for a wrap, and used a bit of scrap turquoise satin for a purse. When she came home after the dance, I asked how her dress did. She said it was great and everyone loved it. She said that she didn’t have the problem her friend did, where she bought a dress, and five other girls where wearing the same dress. She was glad she had a one of kind dress.