Started Date: June 17, 2011
Finish Date: June 19, 2011
Pattern Used: Simplicity 7756 – Out of Print
Materials: Poly/cotton broad cloth
Notions: grommets, trim and boning
June 14, 2011 – Pre-construction
This is the first costume I ever made. In 1998, Angie and I made costumes with whatever fabric we had on hand. My original costume was made from broadcloth, and the colors were purple, peach and white. I made the underskirt peach, the shirt white, and the overdress was purple. If I remember correctly, I used white frog closures for the front of the bodice. This time around, I will be using broadcloth, but the colors will be hunter green for the overdress, golden yellow for the underskirt and white for the shirt. I will be adding trim to this one, and using grommets to make it lace up the front. The accents will be my custom made kilt pins, my tartan drapes. For my shoes, I will be wearing my ghillies. This costume will be worn for my birthday dinner, that will also be a Dinner in a Costume event for the EP. I hope to get started on this withing the next day or two.
June 16, 2011 – Progress
I was finally able to make progress. After work, I headed to the sewing room, traced the pattern, and was able to get the shirt cut out. I had considered using a different shirt pattern, but once I got another look at this one, I decided to use it. Tomorrow, I will be cutting out the bodice, overskirt panels, and underskirt panels. I am well on my way!
July 5, 2011 – The aftermath
The sewing went very quick, and very easy. As it should. lol. This pattern is very simple, but turns out very nice. The only pattern pieces that I used were the shirt pieces and the overdress bodice pieces. I draped the skirt and over skirt for a much fuller look than the pattern offers. I did purchase trim, but didn’t use it, as a last minute decision. This was partly because of laziness. lol. The trim can be added at a later date, if I decide I want it. All in all, I am very satisfied with the finished outfit.