Pattern Used: Blouse – McCalls M7250; Skirt – draft of slip/skirt combo
Material Used: Linen
September 26, 2012 – Inspiration
After Angie found out that they will be releasing The Great Gatsby starring Leonardo Di Caprio later this year, she decided that we needed to do a premiere party! I am all for that. So, we have all started looking to see what dresses we want to make. I am thinking of making a simple, but lovely dress. And, I’m still debating on fabric. But, in the meantime, here is my current inspiration:
*I was a bad blogger, and did not note where I found this image when I found it months ago. 😦 If anyone knows where this may be from, please comment and let me know, so I can site the source. Thx!
November 7, 2012 – Change in the line up!
Well, I have changed my mind on the dress that I will be making. After browsing through the Commercial Pattern Archive, I found one that I really would like to draft for this event. It is Butterick 5304 from 1924. One of the recommended materials for this is linen, and I have a lovely bolt of turquoise linen I am thinking of using. I am also thinking of using some white linen for the sleeve cuffs, collar and belt, not sure yet.
I will be drafting view B, which will do nicely for the winter weather. Plus, I already have a black cape lined in turquoise to wear with it, and a black cloche. I hope to get started on it this weekend. 😉
January 25, 2013 – Changes, Changes and More Changes!
As always, I have reevaluated my costume plans for my Great Gatsby dress. No surprise there. lol. With the movie release date being pushed back to May of 2013, it throws it in line with our 4th Annual Tipsy Tea. Because of this, we have decided that we change the theme to the 1920’s, that way we all can have fun with this era. Since the movie was pushed back, this allowed for me to pick a light weight material for my dress, something a little more sheer. I can stick with my color choice of turquoise, as I already have something in my fabric stash. As I looked over the interwebs, I found a site that sells historical costumes, and they had one for the 1920’s era that caught my attention. The site is call Recollections, and the dress is named Frankie. I need to get on cleaning the sewing room, so I can start drafting my pattern.
June 4, 2013 – The ever changing costume project!
This is obviously the year for changes, no doubt about it. Things have gone topsy turvy to say the least. lol. There was no tea this year. Which greatly saddens me. However, I will be plunging forward and working to bring this dress to life. As of right now, my goal is to have it done for my birthday lunch with the other ladies. Let’s see if I can hit this goal. 😉 The dress design is still basically the same, I’ll just be using the skirt pattern from Butterick B5858 for my skirt, then I’ll draft the blouse I want. Since I haven’t been in the sewing room in months, maybe it’s a good idea to get down there and pull out the fabric. Maybe this will help motivate me to get down there this weekend and get started on this dress. We’ll see, huh? lol.
January 7, 2016 – Maybe to see the light of day
After a couple of years of not having any sewing mojo, I have decided that 2016 is the year to jump back in with both feet. This poor project has been languishing far too long. I think I still like the plan to make this for a birthday dress. I hope to draft the pattern for this one soon, after I clean up the sewing room, that is. 😉
March 1, 2016 – Even more changes!
I have started getting back into the swing of sewing, and have started adding to my pattern collection, again. So, it’s only natural that in this process, I have made even more changes to this costume design. I found a look that I absolutely LOVE!!!
Shortly after I found this image on Pinterest, I found that McCalls had the perfect blouse in their Archive Collection, dated from 1927.
View B is exactly what I needed for the blouse of this costume. I plan to use the same fabric I have, and add an ivory lace collar. For the skirt, I will be drafting a slip/skirt all-in-one type of thing, and adding a bit of ivory lace to the top of the camisole part, so that it matches the lace collar of the blouse. Now, I just need to draft the needed pattern and get started on it.