Victorian Undergarments – Natural Form

 

Started: April 3, 2011
Finished: April 17, 2011
Patterns used: Laughing Moon #100 & TV170 – Petticoat
Materials used: poly/cotton broad cloth

I will be making the Silverado corset from Laughing Moon, along with the chemise and drawers. The petticoat will be made from TV170, and used with my Victorian Tea Ensemble.

April 3, 2011 – The pattern arrived yesterday. I was able to get the corset pattern traced out onto wax paper. Then PJ joined me in the afternoon, and we were able to get the chemise and drawers pattern traced out, as well. During the evening this week, I will probably get the fabric cut, so we can start sewing bright and early next Saturday.

After I got the corset pieces cut out, I was able to determine which remnant fabric I will be using for my cover fabric. I had the choice between a white taffeta like material, with white vines and leaves embroidered on it, or a white and silver brocade satin. It will be the white and silver brocade satin, as it was the one that I had enough of. I can’t wait to get started on this.

April 7, 2011 – After reading numerous pattern reviews, I have decided to go ahead and re-trace the Silverado corset in a size smaller. Also, from the pattern reviews, I have found that the Dore corset may be the better fit, so I also traced it out. I will be making a mock up of both to see which will have the more flattering silhouette. I can’t wait to get started on these this weekend!

April 11, 2011 – We had late starts on both days, so we didn’t get as far as we wanted. We (PJ and myself) did find that the Silverado corset was not flattering to our figures. We went ahead with the Dore pattern. With that being the case, I was able to use the white taffeta with the vines and leaves (as seen in the photo to the left). This made me very happy. As I am using the all white fabric, I will be using black bias tape, with black lace at the bust line, and maybe some small, black, satin bows for accents. Despite the delays over the weekend, we did get both halves of the corsets put together. This evening we will be sewing the boning channels and sewin the boning in. I hope to get the boning in completely, as well as the grommets. This way, we can get out measurements in the corsets and move forward with the rest of the garments, while hand sewing the bias in the down time.

April 27,2011 – When we finally got the grommets in the corsets, we found that the pattern ran 2 sizes too large. We

LM #100 – Chemise

cut 1 size smaller (a size 22 C cup), but this was still too large, as the backs of the corset met completely, and there was still room in the corset. The solution that we came up with was to cut the center back panels just enough, and to sew in new boning and grommet channels. That was done this past weekend, and it fit nicely after the adjustment.

We were able to get both the drawers and the chemise done on Saturday the 16th. They went together beautifully. I even liked the pintucks that were called for by the pattern. As with the corset pattern, the chemise yoke pattern runs a little on the large side, as well. And, after reading other pattern reviews, we lengthened the shoulder strap, as others complained that the arm hole was a little tight. This made for a perfect fit. I did a bit of eyelet lace as trim for my chemise.

LM #100 – Drawers

The drawers came together just as well as the chemise. As to be expected with this garment, there were no sizing issues. I used the same eyelet lace as trim for the drawers.

For the petticoat, I used Truly Victorian pattern # 170.  This is the first Truly Victorian pattern that I have worked with. It went together like a dream. We were able to cut out and complete this garment in one day. We made this garment on Sunday the 17th. The pattern pieces were clearly marked, and lined up great. The instructions were percise and to the point. The one small issue that we encountered was due to operator error, and had nothing to do with the pattern. This is were I lacked in following my own rule of reading the pattern completely through first. But, it was nothing that a 10 minutes couldn’t fix. This is truly a pattern that you can, and should, follow step by step.

Truly Victorian #170 – Back of Petticoat

One thought on “Victorian Undergarments – Natural Form

  1. Pingback: Spellbound by the corset | Just Blame Jane

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s