Victorian Tipsy Tea Ensemble – Natural Form

This costume is being made for The Emerald Parlor’s 2nd Annual Tipsy Ladie’s Tea.

Patterns to be used: Tv422 – 1881 Dinner bodice, TV324 – 1878 Long Drape Overskirt and TV221 – 1878 Tie Back Underskirt
Date started: April 23, 2011
Date Finished: May 13, 2011
Material: Mystery Navy Blue Satin Stripe
Notions: TBD

March 3, 2011 – The Planning Stage

This costume has been rolling around in my mind since we decided to have a Victorian tea. I will be using the mystery fabric I got in Amish country a couple of years ago. I got a 10 yd bolt for about $27. I will probably end using the whole bolt, between the bodice, overskirt and the hat I have in mind. I will be ordering the patterns within the next few weeks. I can’t wait!

April 2, 2011 – Getting Closer

The patterns arrived today! Woo Hoo! I can’t wait to get a minute to sit down and read the directions. I want to get started on this so bad, but I will have to construct the undergarments first. I can’t till this costumes comes together. It’s going to look fabulous! Hopefully, I can get started tomorrow.

April 27, 2001 – Progress made

This past weekend proved to be very successful, if not very frustrating. On Saturday, I was able to get the underskirt done down to the ruffle. Since I wanted it pleated on, instead of gathered, I had to sit down and try to pleat the massive ruffle to the bottom of the skirt. This is what proved to be very frustrating. No matter how I tried to pleat it, it just didn’t want to line up. I had to set it aside until Sunday afternoon, when I had calmed down.

On Sunday, I thought I would try a different approach. That still did not work. I set it aside, again, and started on my overskirt. I to the overskirt completed with the exception of the skirt hook, which will be added this weekend after I get the corset on for measurements. I love the way this overskirt is turning out. This is another Truly Victorian pattern that I have enjoyed working with. This skirt have gone together smoothly. I can’t wait to get the bodice done to see how this outfit looks all together.

I came back to working on the underskirt ruffle this evening. I was determined that it would go on, or I would go without the ruffle. My course of action to solve this problem was to cut another ruffle section. The pattern called for 5 cut on the fold. I cut a sixth piece and added it on. Once I did that, I started by pleating the ruffle to the hem of the underskirt. I did this by folding the dull stripes in half, and pinning them all in the same direction. This way, only the shiny stripes are seen until movements reveals the dull stripes. I pinned the ruffle at both ends, and then ironed the pleats in. I then secured the top of the ruffle to the skirt, and quickly sewed it down. After removing the pins, I tried on both the underskirt and overskirt, and I am very happy with the results.   *to see pics of how I pleated the ruffle, be sure to check out the Just Blame Jane Flickr photo stream

This weekend, I will start on the bodice!

May9th,2011 – A minor set back

So, I didn’t get as much done on my bodice as I wanted on April 30th. I had a set, if you will. My car died on the 29th, and I had to go buy a new one on the 30th. Well, new to me, that is. I spent five and a half hours at the dealship test driving, bargining, and sealing the deal. I did want a new car, but now in this manner, and not with a car payment so soon. But, c’est la vie! Things happen for a reason, and I felt the old car was close to killing me one day on my morning commute. But, I digress.

On the weekend of the 30th, I got everything for the bodice cut out, and set aside. I started covering the straw hat I’m using for my costume. And last week was a very blah week, so I didn’t get anything done in the evenings. This past weekend was much different, even though we got a late start. On Saturday, we started around 2 pm, and stopped at about 1 am. I got the interlining and the fashion fabric flat lined, put together and boned. I got the sleeves assembled and attached to the bodice, and the lining put together. On Sunday, as it was Mother’s Day, I worked by myself. I got the lining attached and the bodice turned right side out. All I have left to do is sew the hook & eyes down the front of the bodice, and the arm holes sealed. Oh! And the flowers put on my hat. As I am on a small vacation for the rest of the week, I should have that done in plenty of time.

As for the construction of this bodice, I am highly impressed. I love the method of boning that is used. I’m not too crazy about the the method of bag lining, but I am working with it. Other wise, it’s looking very good. I love the basic, overall design. I can’t wait to get it completed and wear it on Saturday.

May 17, 2011 – The final product

This costume was a hit, the “tea party” was a blast. I knew that I wanted to make another one of these outfits, I just didn’t know that I would get to so soon. Due to unforeseen events, Angie was left without a costume. So, PJ and I pulled together, and I created another version of this costume for Angie. I enjoyed making this ensemble, and would gladly make another.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s