Victorian Girls’ outfit

Date Started: September 26, 2011
Date Finished: September 30, 2011
Pattern used: Simplicity 2843 – view C
Fabric: Cotton print and poly/cotton broadcloth
Notions:

September 20, 2011 – Annie’s first Victorian dress

As we will be attending the Old West Festival on Oct. 1st in costume, it’s time to make Annie her first Victorian dress. I have decided to use Simplicity 2843 – view C. I have a cotton print that has been in the stash for a few years, since my mom gave it to me. It’s a dark purple, with pink ribbons and roses. I will be using a pale pink broadcloth for a few contrasting areas, along with some white lace and pink ribbon for trim. I have traced the pattern out on brown paper, and managed to get it all cut out this evening. Here’s hoping I can get it all done, along with my new Victorian cotton day dress, and a shirt and vest for my husband. Thank goodness I’m on vacation all next week, I may just need it. 😉

September 28, 2011 – What was I thinking?!

Well, I pulled a one day marathon sewing session for this one. Granted, it wouldn’t have taken me as long as it did if I would’ve had a better understanding of square yoke construction. lol. I got around it my way, and it worked. I will have to take time to better understand this sewing element, as I plan to use this pattern again. Granted, the fabric isn’t period correct, but it still looks good. I have mostly pleased with the way it’s turning out. I just have the hook & eyes to sew into the back. But, I am thinking of adding a pink ribbon to the “waist” seam to break up the look of so much printed fabric. I will also be making a large pink bow to place at the back of the waist line. Please note: the pic to the left was taken before I had finished for the day. After this was taken, I added more eyelet lace to the bottom of the skirt, just above the ruffle. I will post more pics, once it’s completely finished.

October 4, 2011 – Finished, but unworn

I was able to finish Annie’s dress, getting all the hook & eyes sewn on, and a large bow made. Unfortunately, the day we attended the festival, it was too muddy and too cold. Annie was disappointed that she didn’t get to wear it, but we will be doing a photo shot soon to get some better photos of her in it. I do like this pattern, and I will be using it again and again to make her dress for the mid to late Victorian era. The next Victorian dress I will be making for her from this pattern will be view B, closely followed by view C. (I know, she doesn’t look too thrilled to be in the dress, but it was 11 o’clock at night, and she was ready to go to bed when I hijacked her for a final try on. lol.)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited to add new photos:

2011-10-08_17-36-33_369

 

2011-10-08_17-53-01_290

 

2011-10-08_17-53-25_318

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s