Mini Martha Washington

Pattern to be used: McCall’s 5414 – with heavy modifications
Size to be made: 7-8
Materials: Baroque Satin in deep sapphire and garnet
Notions: hook & eyes, ivory lace trim, ivory lace ribbon, a bit of boning, and “cover with fabric” buttons

March 1st, 2011 – The Planning stage

I actually started the planning phase on this a few weeks ago. My first thought was just to use broad cloth for a quick costume. But, upon further research, I have decided that this needs to be a little more than a quick costume. I will probably use a baroque satin for this, or maybe a brocade, whichever is more  advantageous to my purse strings. As for the color scheme, I am still thinking along the lines of the Americana colors, a deep sapphire blue overdress, with a deep garnet petticoat and ivory lace trim. I want to make this in a robe a la polonaise style.

Next step – Shopping!

April 11, 2011 – Shopping

I was able to pick up the Baroque Satin that I wanted for this project. I managed to wrangle up two 50% off coupons to purchase it at JoAnn’s. I did get the deep sapphire for the overdress, and a nice garnet for the petticoat. I will be going back in a couple of weeks to get the ivory colored lace trim, as well as some ivory colored satin ribbon. I am getting more and more excited to make this. Little Miss L will be the best dressed wax figure there, if I do say so myself.

May 20, 2011 – And so it begins

With the EP Tipsy Tea done and out of the way, I can now start on the Mini Martha dress. My intent was to have it finished by today, however the Cosmos saw it differently. I wanted to get started on this past Monday, but Annie had a starring role in her school musical. On Tuesday, I was able to get things cut out, but had to pick Katie up from marching band clinics and had to stop at about 7:30. Wednesday saw the moving of a dinnette set and corner hutch. I didn’t get home until about 8:30, and my living room was in shambles, had to stop to pick some of that up. Last night was the rearranging of furniture to make the corner hutch fit. So, I will be cracking down this evening and as best I can over the weekend, as I must have it delivered on Monday. Considering that I have to clean my house from top to bottom, and need to clean out the garage on Sunday, let’s see how quickly I can get it sewn together. I should at least have the petticoat done tonight. Here’s hoping, anyway. lol.

May 23, 2011 – Finished project!

A qucik peek at the Mini Martha dress

After a week of distractions and detours, I was finally able to get this project finished! I didn’t actually get to work on this until Sunday. I started at about 10am and finished around 10pm. I did opt to leave the frills off, for a more plain dress. It did turn out very lovely. I will have to get more photos later.

May 30, 2011 – Photos of  the finished gown

Little Miss L did very well for her “wax figure” event, and the gown has been brought home. I was able to get a few photos of Annie in the gown. Here is what I have:

Back view of the Mini Martha gown

Front view of the Mini Martha gown

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s