Despite taking a year to get started on my 1912 Walking Suit, it’s moving pretty quickly. Granted, it’s not going as fast as it would if we were still able to do weekend binge sewing sessions, like we used to do, but it’s moving fairly quickly. I’m almost halfway through the garments that need to be constructed. This past weekend I was able to finish the camisole, despite my frustrations on Friday evening, and not getting any sewing time in on Saturday. So, let me start with Friday evening. When I got home I warmed up the oven for a couple of pizzas, and pulled out the camisole to start working. I dutifully followed the directions, and started with the button edges of the front, then moved on to the pintucks. Once I got those done, I pulled out the lace for the insets on the front pieces. And, this happened:
As you can see in the photo above, the lace I picked for the inset was not wide enough to the space designated. After the busy day I had, my brain just went into tantrum mode and refused to work me. So, I folded it all back up, put it way so the cats couldn’t lay on it, and went about fixing dinner and finding a movie to watch for the evening. I was three bites into my first piece of pizza when a solution to my problem hit me head on. lol. After finishing what I had on my plate, I washed my hands (don’t need pizza grease on the white undies!) and sat down at the machine to see if my idea would work.
The idea that hit was the fact that the lace was flat along the top edge, so if I could place them back to back and do a narrow zig-zag to sew them together, maybe it would be wide enough for that space.
It worked! I pinned it down, and then just folded under the bottom corners to follow the design on the pattern. That was as far as I got until Sunday. On Saturday, I had to round up stuff for the crafty afternoon at the shop. We have decided that it would be a good idea to have one Saturday afternoon a month that we could just sit and craft with others, help anyone that is stuck with a craft project, and teach anyone that wants to learn something new. I even set up a small table with an electric tea kettle, plastic cups, a variety of teas, and some brownie bites. We started at 2 pm and ran until the shop closed at 6 pm. We had a blast, and I even taught a couple of ladies how to knit. After all of that, it was off to Miss PJ’s to celebrate her birthday with (more) pizza and margaritas over several rounds of cards at the kitchen table.
On Sunday, I went back to work on the camisole for a bit, then hit the fabric store with PJ. I wanted to utilize a 60% off coupon that was going to expire to make sure I got the brocade satin I needed for my 1913 corset. They didn’t really have I wanted, so I settled for what they had that I liked. I also picked up some stretchy, faux suede material for the gloves that I want to make. But, I managed to forget the last two gold buttons I need for the jacket, for the third time. lol. When I got home, I finished up the camisole while the hubby played, of all things, the Minecraft game that belongs to the Teenaged Attitude. lol.
He took my spot on the couch, so I took his massager/recliner and kicked up my feet while I pinned on the lace trim along the neckline. Yesterday, I ended up leaving work early as I didn’t feel well. After a long nap on the couch, I started on the drawers while making homemade soup for dinner. All I have left to finish on that is the waistbands front and back, and the ruffle around the legs. That just leaves the corset to finished to make my complete set of Edwardian undergarments. Once the corset is done, I can move on to the rest of the garments. Yay! I’m finally getting closer and closer to a completed costume. The first since the fall of 2013. When I said this, the hubby was shocked. He thought I had made a costume last year. But, then again, he has a bad memory. So, this rest of this week will be finishing up the drawers, coaxing Jane out of the sewing room to get photos of the finished garments, and making the mock up of the corset. I do still have to order the corset busk, grommets and lacing. I guess if I get to the point that I can’t work until that stuff arrives, I can switch over my Gatsby dress. I do want to have it done by June. So, until the next time, I’ll leave you with a photo of the Teenaged Attitude actually smiling, and say…. Happy Sewing!